Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Lemon Chicken Pasta - IHCC Noodles, Noodles, Everywhere!

I Heart Cooking Clubs is heading into the final month of cooking with featured chef Donna Hay - so sad that it will be over soon. One thing I will miss about this chef is her knack of transforming simple ingredients that can be somewhat bland on their own into something special. Case in point: cooked chicken breast and pasta do not an exciting dish make. Add the juice and zest of a lemon, some spicy chilli and fried capers and you've got this flavourful Lemon Chicken Pasta.
The recipe called for cooked chicken breasts so it's a great use for leftover chicken or a store-bought roasted chicken but knowing that I was making this dish later in the week, I grilled a few extra breasts for dinner one evening. It took just minutes to fry the garlic, capers and chilli and then heat the chicken before adding the hot, cooked pasta and remaining ingredients.
Sauced with just lemon juice and olive oil infused with the flavour of the capers, garlic and chilli, I did find that it was a little dry. Fortunately, I'm in the habit of saving some of the pasta cooking water for occasions such as this and used a few tablespoons to moisten it.

Easy and quick to make even if you have to cook the chicken first (I would just cut it up and stir fry it quickly with the garlic etc) and something I will definitely make again.

This week's theme at IHCC is noodles; check it out to see how other members used their noodles!

4 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite recipes of hers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the ingredients in this--especially those capers. ;-) It would definitely liven up chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great idea to make cook chicken just for the leftovers! Sometimes I do that too, I love using leftover chicken, especially in tortilla wraps. This pasta dish looks delicious, I can see why you would want to cook this again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zosia, you're exactly right about Donna Hay - I'm going to miss that too. Love all the flavourings in this dish, and what a great way to use up some leftover chicken, though to be honest I would probably cook it from scratch.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.