Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Matcha Chiffon Cake

I love a good chiffon cake with a texture and flavour that matches its name: light, delicate, even ethereal. Unfortunately, I've made too many that are dense and rubbery and far too sweet. It was time to try again. I chose the Orange Glow Chiffon Cake from The Cake Bible, by Rose Levy Beranbaum, having every faith in this author that the recipe would turn out well.
Armed with my trusty scale, stand mixer, and 10 eggs(!!!), I proceeded with the mise en place for the recipe. Part way through, I decided to switch it up a bit: I added 1 tbsp of matcha powder to the dry ingredients, replaced the orange juice with milk and the orange zest with the zest of one lemon, and before I knew it, I'd created a green tea flavoured cake.
Not very pretty....
....until you slice into it!

I was right to trust this recipe: the cake baked up tall and moist with a light and airy texture; it tasted of green tea with just a hint of lemon - lovely! If you would like to try it, the original recipe and videos of the author herself making the cake can be found here.

I'm sharing this post with Cook-Your-Books, hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours. Stop by to see what everyone is cooking this month.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    Your chiffon cake looks very spongy and fluffy! You have baked it perfectly! And flavoured with green tea sounds really good to me!
    I have this wonderful book but have not been baking from it for quite a while.
    Thanks for sharing with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce. I was very pleased that it came out so well; it's become my go-to recipe for chiffon cake.

      Delete
  2. Wow, nice height you got there! I love Rose's recipes. Have you tried her Chocolate Chiffon cake? Amazing! Also in The Cake Bible :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Hanaâ. I'm a huge fan of Rose also and since this cake was such a success (and very tall - it rose well above the height of the pan!), I plan to try the other chiffon cakes in her book, including the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.