Monday, February 17, 2014

Lamb & Bean Braise and Clementine Cake - IHCC Potluck

This month for I Heart Cooking Clubs' potluck theme, I'm cooking again with Nigella Lawson, a natural choice when you're looking for comfort food that's not too taxing.
This dish featuring lamb, beans and vegetables simmered in red wine, is a good example of that. Though not a weeknight dish as Nigella suggests, it's perfect for a day when you have a little more time and can appreciate the lovely fragrance wafting from the kitchen as the lamb, beans and vegetables bubble away.
Some advance planning is needed for this recipe since the meat and vegetables must marinate and the beans soak for several hours. I set these up the night before. On cook day, once the chops and vegetables are browned and the beans partially cooked, everything is combined with the marinating liquid and left to simmer slowly for 1 1/2 hours. Definitely not taxing!

Served as suggested with some good bread, Hazelnut Currant Boule from the book Home Baking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Tradition Around the World (by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid), this was just what was needed on yet another cold day!
For dessert, a little light and citrus-y brightness in the form of a sweet clementine cake, a recipe that uses the entire fruit, rind, pith and all, served with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of toasted almonds.

The recipes for Lamb and Bean Braise  and Clementine Cake are from Nigella's book How To Eat; the recipe for the cake is also on her website.

Additional notes:
- lamb neck is not easy to find here so I used shoulder (blade) chops, and white kidney beans in place of cannellini beans
- the dish served four generously (it's in the chapter on cooking for 1 or 2)
- a half recipe of the clementine cake made 8 small cakes (90ml) that baked in 25 minutes

Visit here to see what everyone else at IHCC made.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    Such a delicious meal! I love Nigella's recipes!
    Fabulous bread!
    And one can never could resist a lovely dessert such as Clementine Cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like such a fabulous dinner. Nigella is truly The Queen of comfort food. I especially love the bright and sunny little clementine cakes--so cute! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. perfect one pot dish and what a great complimentary dessert

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really can't emphasis how much I love visiting your site and seeing the meals you put together. All of these recipes go so well together! Nigella really is the queen of comfort food. I agree with Deb on that. My family really enjoys lamb and I think this looks like a beautiful and comforting meal. That clementine cake would be the star of the show for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do wish I wasn't the only one in the house who likes lamb. This looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful looking meal. I've made Nigella's clementine cake a number of times, and it always goes down a treat - I never would have thought to make it into little individual cakes though. Great idea - they look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.