Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Crispy Pancetta and Chilli Pasta - IHCC Getting Saucy

When I saw this week's theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs of sauces and dressings and the foods that love them, the first foods that came to mind were pasta and salad.
The dish I chose combines elements of both: hot pasta, roasted squash and crisp pancetta sauced with an olive oil-lemon juice dressing and some fresh greens tossed in before serving.
It was easy to put together and the flavours were very good: sweet and salty and a little spicy, with the lemon juice and greens adding brightness and freshness to the dish. But what really stood out was the deliciousness of the squash roasted with pancetta and finished with the lemony dressing. I'll probably make this dish again in its entirety but I think the squash is very likely to make a frequent appearance as a side dish.

The recipe for Crispy Pancetta and Chilli Pasta is from our featured chef Donna Hay's book Seasons, pg 174 but can also be found here.

Additional notes:
- I used butternut instead of kabocha squash
- the beet greens I had were a little tough to be eaten raw so I used arugula
- I replaced half the olive oil with pasta cooking water

Visit IHCC to see what sauciness the other members have been up to this week.

3 comments:

  1. When I think of sauces pasta is the first thing to come to mind also. I can see how the pancetta and butternut squash pair well together. I like the bright flavors in this dish and it looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pasta is such a perfect vehicle for sauce of just about any description, isn't it? I love butternut, chilli and pancetta together - great flavour combination, and I love the sound of the lemony dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks really fabulous. I love the combination of flavors--it looks tasty and bright and so pretty on the plate too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.