Friday, January 10, 2014

Kale Salad with Cherries and Pecans

One of the benefits of my daughter becoming a vegetarian a few years ago was the discovery of kale, a dark green, leafy vegetable that seemed to be a common ingredient in many meatless dishes. It has a milder flavour than its relatives broccoli, Brussel's sprouts etc (genus brassica), but like its relatives, is packed with nutrients. I cook with it regularly now but am always looking for new ways to prepare it. Eating it raw in a salad is a great way to enjoy it.
Containing crisp radishes, tart dried cherries, crunchy toasted pecans, with a scattering of goat's cheese nuggets, and dressed with a bold honey-Dijon vinaigrette, this salad is a delicious mix of contrasting flavours and textures.
It's much heartier than a lettuce salad, perfect for this or really any time of year. We loved it!

The recipe for Kale Salad with Cherries and Pecans is from The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman and can also be found here.

Additional notes:
- I used curly kale which is easier to find here
- the salad can be dressed hours in advance - the texture of the kale actually improves - but the nuts and cheese should be added just before serving

I'm sharing this post with Cook-Your-Books, hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    Each time I see a recipe using either Kale or Rhubarb, I am always curious, as I have never tried these two veggies before, have not seen them around here! Would really, really, love to get my hands on some Kale!'
    Your salad looks really good!
    Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joyce. I think any strongly flavoured leafy green vegetable can be used as a substitute in this salad.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.