Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies - Avid Baker's Challenge

The ABC bakers are ringing in the new year with a decadent chocolate-cheesecake treat as we continue to bake from the King Arthur Flour website.
The chocolate portion of the recipe was an easy cocoa-based saucepan brownie loaded with chocolate chips and the cheesecake layer, a simple vanilla flavoured sweetened cream cheese blend that included eggs and flour.
The brownie mixture was far more dense than the cheesecake so tended to sink to the bottom; marbling the two was a bit of a challenge. I made a half recipe and baked it in a 20cm/8" square pan; it took about 10 minutes longer to bake than the longest time given in the recipe.
They were moist and very rich - I'm glad I cut 36 small pieces - with the overall texture that of a soft, fudgy brownie. I didn't think the cheesecake portion balanced that well with the brownie; it was far too sweet so the characteristic tang of the cheese was lost and it was overpowered by the intensely chocolate-y brownie. Having said that, they certainly disappeared quickly enough from an assorted holiday dessert tray so what do I know? ;)

If you would like to try them, you can find the recipe for Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies here. Visit the ABC bakers here to see what variations they baked up.

16 comments:

  1. Great post! Your observations are really helpful. I'm just about to get started on these. Think I'll cut back on the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula. I wish I had done that when I was making them.

      Delete
  2. Happy new year Zosia. Your brownies look great and super chocolaty. I skipped the choc chips and reduces the sugar in the brownie batter. That worked OK, I think. They were super rich though so I too cut them smaller. Glad the family liked them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hanaâ. I think the flavours would have been more balanced without the chips and I agree that less sugar is a good idea.

      Delete
  3. Your brownies looks great, but it's good to know what should be tweaked. I intend to make a smaller batch, too, and will definitely cut down on the sugar.
    Happy New Year and Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin and Happy New Year to you as well!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year! I love that your brownies are a little higher than mine. I also made half the recipe, but used a large pan to bake them in. Lovely job on the marbleling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Zosia I just love the moistens of these brownies and your looks nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosa. They were very moist like a good fudgy brownie, weren't they.

      Delete
  6. Your brownies look beautiful! Mine disappeared very quickly too! Stunning swirly photograph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. The cheesecake + brownie combination is definitely a winner!

      Delete
  7. I'm happy to have found your blog, Zosia. I see you've made the jump from cookbooker to EYB. I've missed you, and these look spectacular. QS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stopped by. I miss the cookbooker community; EYB serves many purposes but it's just not the same.

      Delete
  8. Happy new year Zosia. Great looking brownies. I also made half the batch. Agree about cutting down on the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just joined the group and excited to be baking with you guys. Mine are in the oven right now. Yours look fabulous

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.