Monday, December 30, 2013

Maple-Glazed Chicken - IHCC Suitable for the Spa!

We've been dealing with the aftermath of an ice storm this past week, (we count ourselves among the fortunate who didn't lose power in the sub-zero celsius temperatures), slowly chipping our way free of a layer of solid ice that's coated everything. Spa cuisine, this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs theme, wasn't really on the menu...hearty, warming comfort food seemed more appropriate. However, I did recall having a wonderful lunch of poached chicken breast during my one and only visit to a spa. Chicken I could work with so I made Maple-Glazed Chicken, a recipe for poached, skinless, boneless chicken breasts that I've had bookmarked since the start of my journey with IHCC's featured chef Donna Hay.
Seasoned with spicy chilli flakes and a slick of maple syrup, the chicken was cooked in a non-stick pan with no added fat. I changed the method slightly by using a grill pan and omitted the water. Donna suggests roasted parsnips and sugar snap peas as sides, but I added radicchio to the pan to grill alongside the chicken and steamed some broccoli. It was a great choice...easy and delicious.
For this week's spa theme, we were to prepare "light and lovely, healthy" dishes. This dish was definitely healthy and on the light/low fat side, (I'll have to work on the lovely part!), but was substantial enough to provide much needed sustenance so that we could continue our outdoor efforts. If you'd like to try it, the recipe is on page 16 of Donna Hay's book Fast, Fresh, Simple but can also be found here.

Visit I Heart Cooking Clubs to see what others made this week.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    Happy New Year!
    Your chicken dish looks so flavourful and delicious! Looks good with the radicchio and broccoli.
    Hope the weather over there improves!
    Wishing you and your family A Wonderful 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this meal looks perfect for a healthy spa dinner. I especially like that sweet-spicy marinade and the grilled radicchio on the side. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter weather doesn't always inspire light and healthy dishes that's for sure :)
    I am a big fan of maple flavored dishes and, like Deb, really love the idea of adding the chilli flakes to add some heat. I'm going to pin this and hope to make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I think this definitely qualifies as light, healthy and lovely - I would totally love to eat it that's for sure. The maple flavoured chicken spiked with chilli sounds delicious and I think the bitter radicchio would make a great accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zosia, love the combination of flavours. I hear winter is very bad this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.