Monday, December 9, 2013

Black & White Wagon Wheels - IHCC Fill the Tins

Wagon Wheels were a very rare and special treat for me growing up and one I haven't had in many years. When I spotted Donna Hay's recipe for them on her website, vivid memories of fluffy marshmallow sandwiched between cookies and coated in sweet chocolate came to mind.
I simply had to make them! The chance came with this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs theme of sweets and treats perfect for gift giving.
Of course, Donna has put her own spin on them. The sweet of my memories definitely wasn't made with pure butter cookies, good jam and bittersweet and white Belgian chocolate, and they certainly weren't triple decker!
Comprised of crunchy vanilla sugar cookies made with a of touch of honey, sweet marshmallow fluff and tart raspberry jam filling, and coated with a thin shell of chocolate, they were delicious. But were they as good as the originals?
There was no comparison*. The cookies were far superior; the flavour was reminiscent of the original Wagon Wheel, but a gourmet version without the excessive sweetness. Definitely worthy of being gifted. 

The recipe for Black and White Wagon Wheels can be found here.

* I bought and ate an original Wagon Wheel......strictly for research purposes of course ;)

Additional notes:
- my baking time for the cookies was 7-8 minutes
- I made the cookies a little smaller - 4cm instead of 5cm - and my yield was 104(!!!) single cookies, 34 sandwiches, more than double what the recipe says to expect
- I piped the marshmallow fluff - incredibly sticky stuff!! - and jam onto the cookies rather than trying to spread them on
- I used the amount of chocolate listed in the recipe and even with having over twice the number of cookies to coat, there was enough.

What did other IHCC members fill their tins with?

14 comments:

  1. The things people do for research!
    A triple decker cookie...how fun! I'm not familiar with wagon wheels, but they look good with many flavors in this gourmet version bending together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe had caught my eye too, but since we do not get marshmallow fluff here I could not make them. They look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sunita. You can make your own fluff (marshmallow creme)...there are quite a few recipes for it online.

      Delete
  3. Zosia,

    These are wonderful! Great gift for friends, everyone would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of a wagon wheel before and I feel somewhat deprived! I know that I would enjoy these immensely! I think you have them packaged up so pretty. I can just imagine the delight when someone pops open that tin and looks inside!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, these looks pretty and delicious!
    These would make lovely gifts indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How come wagon wheels have been missing from my life?! These look amazing--I love all of those layers and then that chocolate coating just takes them up another notch. I would love a tin of these. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are so lovely, I like that there is a white chocolate version...and the photo makes them look so tempting, better give this one a bookmark to try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also never heard of wagon wheels. But wish I had. Have to try these. They look sooooo good!! All that chocolate and cookie!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy moly!! I have never heard of wagon wheels before, and now I feel as though a whole part of my childhood has been missing.

    It was very good of you to go to so much trouble doing the appropriate research before sharing these with us - I sure would love to get a parcel of these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Zosia these mini wagon wheels are so amazing and very delicios/ great as a gift for christmas and also when the grandchildren. Come over >.P.S. I like them with white chocolate...thank you for the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here are Zosia!

      http://maggiescupcakes1.blogspot.ca/2013/12/black-and-white-wagon-wheels.html?m=1. :-)

      Delete
    2. Thank you (and your welcome)!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.