Monday, December 23, 2013

Beetroot Blini with Goat's Cheese - IHCC 'Tis the Season

Let me start by saying that I love Donna Hay and I love this recipe! Beet dishes are a holiday tradition for me - it wouldn't be Christmas Eve without barszcz, Polish beet soup - and though my immediate family still doesn't appreciate the vegetable, I like to serve them to guests. But they don't make the best finger food. So how ingenious is it to actually embed the beet in a pancake, avoiding that most inevitable of mishaps.....a beet slice sliding off the canapé and taking a tumble down the front of your favourite white party outfit! Can you tell I'm speaking from experience?
The recipe called for canned beets but I used beets that I had roasted and frozen in the summer and though I thought they were fairly small, some of the slices were a little hefty for the dainty hors d'oeuvres I had in mind. I used a 3cm cookie cutter to trim them down and make them uniform in size (and provide the cook with a nice snack of the trimmings).
The blini, Russian yeast raised pancakes made with part buckwheat flour, were very easy to make and tasted great even without toppings thanks to the sour cream in the recipe that provided richness without weighing them down. And the tangy goat cheese topper was a perfect match for the sweet beets.
They were delicious and very easy to make and to eat with nary a wayward beet slice in sight.....perfect party fare.

This week's theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs is 'Tis the Season, focusing on food and drinks for holiday parties. The recipes for Basic Blini and Beetroot Blini with Goat's Curd are from our featured chef Donna Hay's website.

What did the other IHCC members offer their guests?

7 comments:

  1. Zosia,

    So good to have this beet recipe. Beet is a very healthy food, however, most of us don't know how to cook it. Have been thinking of eating more beet recently, your pancake come at the right time - they look delicious. Wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very pretty, very nice presentation. Eating healthy can be hard during the holidays but I see I can come to your house for a great snack and party food - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect little appetizer and the color is great for the holidays. If there is a way to spill on myself or stain something I will do it so I appreciate the 'safety' of the blini. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are the cutest little holiday appetizers! I really like that the beet is embedded in the pancake itself. Looks beautiful as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look wonderful! I have yet to try cooking with beets!
    Having it in pancakes is a superb way of serving!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love beets - what a great use of them

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore beets, in just about any incarnation (except soup), but you are absolutely right - they can be tricky to eat in appetiser form without wearing them. Sometimes I think my clothes are just food magnets!! This idea of actually cooking the beets into the blini is absolutely genius and I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.