Monday, November 4, 2013

Parmesan, Lemon and Thyme Parsnip Strips - IHCC In Season

Parsnip is one of those vegetables I use frequently in cooking during the fall and winter months but always in combination with others and somewhat relegated to the background. I've never allowed it to be the star. That's about to change. 
Donna Hay's recipe for baked parsnip strips flavoured with Parmesan, and lemon thyme (which I replaced with regular thyme and lemon zest) puts the vegetable front and centre in a most delicious way. The vegetable ribbons are tossed with melted butter and the other ingredients before being baked (in a single layer with no overlap yields the best results).
The crispy strips are an excellent pre-dinner - or any time of day - snack but I wouldn't hesitate to roast parsnip coins or spears with these same ingredients to serve as a side dish.
The recipe for Parmesan and Lemon Thyme Parsnip Strips can be found here.

Additional notes:
- Canadian parsnips are clearly much smaller than Australian with 4 weighing in at only 400g so I halved the other ingredients but still needed 2 cookie sheets to hold all the strips!

This week's theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs is foods that are "In Season" wherever we live. In the chilly north, root and cruciferous vegetables abound right now; visit here to see what seasonal goodies others cooked up.

14 comments:

  1. Oh, these look wonderful...love crispy things and anything lemony has my immediate attention. All things parsnips can't be bad either...great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried parsnips before, and these looks fantastic! And very addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great selection for this week...a great way to utilize parnsips

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun use for parsnips. I also only make them added to something else as a background player. Like Kayte, I love all things lemon too (except desserts!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a unique way to make parsnips. They are one of my favorite vegetables and I do want to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love parsnips as a side dish accompaniment to something like a roast chicken. This is a great way to prepare them - yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is awesome! I have been roasting parsnips but sliced, like coins. Will have to try this recipe. Maybe my food processor can slice the parsnips as thin as yours are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I considered using my mandoline but ended up just using a vegetable peeler to make the strips. It didn't take very long....probably less time that it would have for me to dig my mandoline out from the back of the cupboard!

      Delete
  8. This sounds good!! I never think of eating parsnips! Just not something I pick up at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had liked this recipe when I was going through Donna Hay's recipes. Looks wonderful. Wonder if I can substitute turnips for parsnips as we do not get that here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunita, I think the flavour of the turnip would be very nice but my guess is that the strips would take longer to crisp and caramelize since turnips have a higher water content and less sugar than a parsnip.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful Zosia �� A great new way with parsnips for me…love all those flavours together. Your pic makes me want to dive right in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great use for parsnips. These look delicious--I would be happy to munch on them any time. ;-) Love the lemon, thyme and parm combination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have only cooked with parsnips once, and they were most definitely a background player. You have convinced me to give them a chance to shine on their own. These really look delicious with their crispy edges!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.