Monday, November 18, 2013

Golden Root Vegetable Couscous and Turkish Delight Syllabub - IHCC Potluck

This week, for I Heart Cooking Club's potluck theme, where we're able to cook with previously featured chefs, I cooked from How to Eat: The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food, Nigella Lawson's first and much lauded cookbook that's much more than a mere compilation of recipes.
Golden Root-Vegetable Couscous is a Moroccan inspired vegetarian dish chock full of seasonal root vegetables, squash and chickpeas and flavoured with onions, garlic and fragrant spices. The dish took a while to prep as there was much chopping of vegetables required but cooked quite quickly. I found the combination of carrots, parsnips, kohlrabi and butternut squash a little sweet so doubled the canned tomatoes for balance. I cooked the vegetables in a tagine, which requires less liquid than a regular pot, so only 1/2 the vegetable stock was needed.
Using the tagine meant that I had to set up a separate pot with some boiling water to steam the couscous (in a cheesecloth lined colander works well for me). I quite often resort to the quicker method of pouring boiling liquid over the couscous but this method of soaking the couscous first, then steaming it results in such an incredibly light and fluffy end product, it's worth doing - sometimes. With some toasted pine nuts mixed in, it was the perfect vehicle for the fragrant tagine.
This dish, with its heady scent of cumin, coriander, cinnamon and saffron and a spoon of harissa for a little heat was hearty and wholesome and utterly delicious. 
The recipe for vegetable couscous appears in the "Weekend Lunch" section of the book, which meant that a dessert was mandatory ;)! So to finish, I made Turkish Delight Syllabub, an Old English dessert of whipped cream thickened (and stabilized) with lemon juice or alcohol - or both as in this recipe - that's been given a Middle Eastern twist with the addition of rosewater and orange flower water and a crunchy pistachio topping. It was light and airy, had lovely floral notes, and served over some fresh orange segments made a nice end to the meal. The recipe can be found on Nigella's website here.

Visit here to see what else is cooking this week at IHCC.

11 comments:

  1. The vegetables look so fresh and colourful. Never thought we could steam couscous. Will try your method next time. It does look very fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely meal! And I like the addition of pine nuts to the couscous. The dessert looks very delightful! A perfect sweet ending of a wonderful meal! Great choices for potluck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want that Turkish Delight!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great choice for pot luck. I have that book of Nigella's too - it's one of my favourites.

    Your tagine looks wonderfully flavourful, and the syllabub is nothing short of gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful set meal! I would finish the whole plate of rice with the flavourful vegetables. Would make the dessert one day, looks a good compliment to the dish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious from start to finish! Love the spices in this dish and one can't go wrong with all that veg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have yet to make a Nigella recipe, but I can see from this one, I should change that immediately, this all looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous meal! I need to stop taking the quick and lazy way out on the couscous and take the time to steam it. I so love Nigella and have made a couple of her different syllabub recipes too--very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You have really put together a wonderful meal for a weekend lunch. I love a colorful veggie tangine served over couscous. It feels very virtuous yet with all the colors and spices it also feels indulgent and satisfying. The turkish delight seems like the perfect ending for the tagine. Plus, I love any excuse to use my rosewater and orange blossom water. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love root vegetables and this is a fabulous way to use them. The dish is not only tasty, it is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow that's a wonderfull blog having all details & helpful. Turkish Delight Toronto

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.