Friday, November 1, 2013

Cinnamon-Swirl Pumpkin Rolls - Avid Baker's Challenge

Well, King Arthur Flour has done it again and introduced me to yet another fantastic recipe. I'm not sure why I'm surprised since every recipe I've tried since joining the ABC group, which has been baking from the KAF website since January, has been a winner.
This recipe was a delicious take on a cinnamon bun. The enriched yeast dough, which included some whole wheat flour (I used whole wheat bread flour), spices, and puréed pumpkin of course, came together quite easily in the stand mixer. It was soft and a little sticky and though I was tempted to add more flour to it, I didn't because the blog post for this recipe says to expect that. It lost that stickiness after it fermented and was quite easy to roll out and shape.

I deviated a little from the recipe here, omitting the optional ingredients from the filling and used just cinnamon-sugar, and less of it (100g/1/2 cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon). Also, based on the quantity of dough the recipe made, I decided to make 12 buns instead of only 9. To this end, I rolled the rectangle of dough into a cylinder starting with the long edge, and used dental floss to slice the rolls. Sweet yeast bread and my oven don't get along at 190C/375F so I baked them for 21 minutes at 175C/350F. The aroma was heavenly!
The buns themselves weren't too sweet and with the pumpkin and whole wheat flour, tasted almost wholesome......until I slathered them with Cream Cheese Frosting* of course ;). I was quite surprised by how light and airy the texture was despite some of the ingredients that could have produced a heavy, dense bread.
Isn't it pretty....that lovely golden colour speckled with spices? 

You'll find the recipe for the Cinnamon-Swirl Pumpkin Rolls here.

*My family and I prefer cream cheese frosting to the fondant-type glaze in the KAF recipe. Here's the the recipe I use:

 Cream Cheese Frosting
adapted from allrecipes.com 
yield: enough to frost 12 buns (with some leftover for those who prefer extra)

Ingredients:
85g/3oz cream cheese (regular or reduced fat), at room temperature
56g/1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
172g/1 1/2 cups icing sugar, sifted
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Method:
Cream together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the sugar until well combined. Add the vanilla and beat until incorporated. Spread on warm buns.

This can be made in advance and refrigerated but bring it to room temperature and give it a good stir before using.
If you'd like to see how the other ABC bakers fared with this recipe, visit here.

13 comments:

  1. Loved the cream cheese frosting. Your rolls look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sunita. We much prefer the cream cheese frosting over the sugary glaze.

      Delete
  2. So clever of you to make 12 instead of 9, good thinking!
    Lovely that cream cheese glaze, not as sweet as the sugary one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lien. Even at 12 they were large.....making 16 might produce a more manageable size.

      Delete
  3. great idea with Cream Cheese Frosting and the pumpkins cinnoman buns look good andI have made them again put with Cream Cheese Frosting by Rose's Heavenly Cakes..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosa. Rose's cream cheese frosting would be perfect with these.

      Delete
  4. Nice idea making 12 rolls and I love your cream cheese frosting. Beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. You definitely knew you were eating a pumpkin roll by their colour alone!

      Delete
  5. Hi Zosia,
    Cream cheese frosting sounds good to me! I have omitted the glaze, as I was afraid that it would be too sweet for my liking! The cream cheese glaze looks delicious with the rolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyce. The cream cheese frosting is much less sweet and my glaze of choice for cinnamon rolls.

      Delete
  6. So beautiful! I love that golden color from the pumpkin. Cream cheese frosting is my favorite topping for cinnamon rolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hanaâ. I was surprised by the vibrant colour.... not at all muddied by the whole wheat flour (I didn't use white whole wheat).

      Delete
  7. I was wondering already, looking at your scrumptuous photos, whether all that frosting wasn't too sweet. Thanks for sharing the cream cheese frosting recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.