Monday, October 28, 2013

Peppery Prosciutto and Mozzarella French Toast - IHCC Sandwich Sensations!

A few weeks ago, when the theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs was breakfast, I couldn't decide between two recipes. The one I eventually chose was Egg, Pancetta and Gruyère Breakfast Bread, but with this week's theme Sandwich Sensations, there was no reason why I couldn't make the second! We're currently cooking with Australian cookbook author and food stylist Donna Hay and though I don't own any of her books, a situation I hope to remedy soon, her website is a treasure trove of great recipes.

Peppery Prosciutto and Mozzarella French Toast
This delicious sandwich included a few twists that set it apart from a typical ham and cheese sandwich.
First there was the bread: the recipe called for brioche buns but I substituted with one of my favourite egg-enriched sandwich breads that I often make as buns. The recipe for BLT Bread (it's the perfect vehicle for bacon-lettuce-tomato sandwiches) is from A Passion for Baking by Marcy Goldman.
Then, there was a condiment I'd never tried before: caramelized onion chutney, spread on the bun before piling it high with mozzarella and prosciutto.
After a dip in a peppery egg bath (only 1 egg and 2 tbsp milk are needed for 2 sandwiches), it was cooked as you would French toast. I covered it with a lid to help melt the cheese and make sure the egg on the sides of the sandwich cooked.
This variation of a Monte Cristo sandwich was really very tasty. The onion chutney worked well with the salty prosciutto and added a lot of flavour to the sandwich. I thought it a very smart use of a store-bought condiment. The mozzarella was good but a more strongly flavoured melting cheese would have been even better.

The recipe for Peppery Prosciutto and Mozzarella French Toast can be found here.

11 comments:

  1. Your sandwich looks gorgeous! I like the soft and golden bun you made yourself, i can imagine its fresh smell .Nice pictures, they brought out the goodness of this French toast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really like the addition of the onion chutney to this. Simple and store-bought but I imagine it adds a lot of flavor to the sandwich! Looks very pretty with your tomato salad on the side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good! It's great that you've made your own buns. I have not tried onion chutney, have not sure whether I've seen them before. A great choice for a sandwich theme, this would be a hit with my kids too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, it's only breakfast time here and that looks like a whole lot of commitment for breakfast, but that said, one small stop at the market and I could be enjoying this for lunch! Great choice. Excellent photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man ... I would adore this sandwich! Great choice for this week's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful sandwich. The cheese oozing out.....yum. Your bun looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my Zosia, you are making me drool! (in a good way!!) Nothing much beats all that oozy gooey cheese & salty proscuitto!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great sandwich combo, Zosia. Your home made buns look wonderful, and I love the sound of the onion chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great looking sandwich. Love idea of dipping it in the egg'milk mix. Beautiful bun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. French toast sandwiches were a hit this week! ;-) These look fabulous with those buns and that peppery egg mixture. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zosia, I like everything about this sandwich! Homemade buns, onion chutney--which I've never had, but it sounds fantastic, and that last shot of the melty cheese...oh yeah!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.