Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Egg, Pancetta and Gruyère Breakfast Bread - IHCC Up & At 'Em!

Most days, breakfast is eaten on the run around here, but when everyone's home and I have extra time, I do like to make something special. And what could be more special than freshly baked bread topped with bacon and eggs! 
The first step was to make the bread dough. The amount was too small to warrant pulling out the heavy machinery for kneading; 5 minutes by hand did the job. While the dough rested, I prepped the topping ingredients, which included crisping some cubes of pancetta because I didn't have pre-sliced.
I divided the dough into serving size portions so I could customize the toppings according to the various likes and dislikes of family members. While the bread baked, another opportunity to get things done presented itself: clean up, make coffee - actually, I did that before I even started so that I could function ;) - prepare fruit, set the table....
These were delicious...I loved the combination of the gruyère and pancetta with the richness of the egg yolk, and the hot pepper flakes were a nice touch. This is definitely worth repeating but I think next time, even though the dish took less than an hour to make, I would use ready made (homemade or store-bought) pizza dough to save a little time.

This Donna Hay recipe for Egg, Pancetta and Gruyère Breakfast Bread can be found here.

I Heart Cooking Clubs is cooking with Australian chef Donna Hay for the next 6 months. This week's theme of "Up & At 'Em" is breakfast dishes. Visit here to see what everyone else made to start their day.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    Haha! I was just going thru DH's website and have bookmarked this to try! Now I can see that it is a good choice! It looks delicious, I'm sure my family would really like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those little breakfast breads look fun, love the idea of the combination of those particular toppings. I could make those...and I will at some point as those look fun and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose the same recipe although I made a few changes - It was so delicious - yours look truly fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bacon and eggs are always a staple here. Love the pancetta...I never think about that for breakfast but - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at fresh baked bread :) Is there anything better? Well topped pancetta, tomato & eggs looks just delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look like mini pizzas. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look fabulous and so great that you can easily customize them for different tastes. The wonderfully yolky egg on top takes them to a whole different level of yum! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can not begin to tell you how good these look!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This breakfast bread was going to be my pick for the week, but I just ran out of time and had to go with something a bit quicker. I think these look absolutely stunning and delicious. Definitely a good breakfast for everyone since you can customize it to suit everyone's tastes. I'm totally with you on the ready made pizza dough too (gotta do whatever it takes to make mornings a little bit easier).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like, Kim, this was the recipe I was going to make this week too, but the timing just didn't work for me in the end. These look insanely good though, and I still can't wait to try them. I love your idea of making individual breads to suit individual tastes - that's very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderful idea, making individual servings and making each one belong to the eater. Yummy looking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.