Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Crusty Apple Pie - Avid Baker's Challenge

I love the smell of cinnamon and baked apples in the fall and with the cooler weather finally here, I was ready for this month's Avid Baker's Challenge selection of apple pie. 
The chosen recipe was quite different from pies I've made before: it was more of a crust lover's pie with a high ratio of crust to filling; the crust included cream cheese; the pie was assembled and baked on a 12" pizza pan!
I loved the pastry! It was easy to make and even easier to work with; it was smooth and supple and rolled out beautifully.

The filling consisted of thinly sliced apples arranged in a single layer over a sprinkling of cinnamon-sugar. I reduced this spiced sugar by half since it seemed far too much for what amounted to only 3 apples (by weight).
Even though I used crisp Granny Smith apples that retain their shape when baked, these ones really didn't stand a chance of that: 45 minutes of baking to ensure that the crust was done resulted in a soft fruit filling. However, with the decrease in sugar, the apple's tart flavour still came through. The crust baked up crisp and flaky and was definitely the star of this pie.
Served warm with a scoop of homemade vanilla ice cream, this was a delicious autumn treat.

The ABC bakers are currently baking from the King Arthur Flour website. The recipe for Crusty Apple Pie can be found here.

The recipe for Vanilla Ice Cream, Philadelphia-Style is from 
The Perfect Scoop, by David Lebovitz.

Visit here to see the versions the other ABC members have baked up this month.

13 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful. Yes the pastry is the star in the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sunita. The pastry was a big hit....crisp and flaky.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pie, Zosia. I loved the flaky pastry. It was soooo easy to make! Definitely a new go-to recipe for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hanaâ. I couldn't believe what a difference the cream cheese made to the consistency of the dough; it made it so easy to roll out. definitely a keeper.

      Delete
  3. Love your crust design! Looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paula. But I must admit I'm suffering from pie gadget envy....I love the cute apple cutouts on the KAF website.

      Delete
  4. Hi Zosia,
    This pie is a total winner in my house! And I reduced the sugar too!
    I love your design on the pie, looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyce. Yes, even with tart Granny Smith apples, 1/2 the sugar was enough.

      Delete
  5. Yum this pie looks so mouth-watering, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lien. My family really enjoyed it (though I would have preferred more filling....maybe next time)

      Delete
  6. All I can say is....yummmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pie looks very pretty with its pattern of slits.
    You are absolutely right - the amount of cinnamon sugar seems way too high. I used only half of it, too, otherwise it would have been a very thick layer.
    I have the "Perfect Scoop", but so far I made only the Vietnamese Coffee ice cream, I should check out the vanilla.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.