Sunday, September 1, 2013

Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread - Avid Baker's Challenge

Sweet, moist, chocolatey, with a texture like a cake-y brownie, this quick bread was an excellent choice for this month's Avid Baker's Challenge, not just because it helped to use up the plethora of that greenest of all summer squashes, but because it was delicious!
I followed the recipe as written using Cacao Barry Extra Brute Dutch process cocoa and the optional espresso powder for more intense chocolate flavour. I used the metric weight measurements provided but faced a dilemma regarding the zucchini: though I hadn't yet reached the required weight for the grated vegetable, it was clear that I had already exceeded the volume. I used it all, 590g/~5 packed cups (for a double batch); my loaves took an extra 10 minutes to bake, perhaps because of the extra zucchini. There's some discussion regarding using weight vs volume for the zucchini on this KAF blog post for the recipe with KAF experts recommending volume.
We couldn't wait for the loaves to cool completely so one was sliced while still slightly warm and the chocolate gooey, and that's how it was enjoyed!

The ABC bakers are currently baking from the King Arthur Flour website. The recipe for the Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread can be found here.

21 comments:

  1. very nice loaf it looks delicious....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Paula. I plan to follow your lead and make it with whole wheat flour next time.

      Delete
  3. You are brave. Doubling the recipe!! I wish I had done that. This was a wonderful quick bread, super chocolaty with just the right texture. Your loaf looks wonderful (I love that nice deep crack in the middle) :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had lots of zucchini, Hanaâ, so it was pretty obvious to me that I should make 2, and with all of the chocoholics in the house, I knew they'd disappear quickly!

      Delete
  4. Looks very nice!
    Interesting what you mention about volume versus weight measures for the zucchini. Usually I measure by weight, but I'll keep this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karin. My preference is to use weight also but I had read the blog comments so measured the volume of the zucchini as well.

      Delete
  5. How funny. I wish I'd read the weight v volume discussion on the KAF board. I went with weight and my bread was just fine. Yours looks gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. I think this recipe is quite forgiving so whether you use weight or volume to measure the zucchini probably doesn't matter much in the end.

      Delete
  6. Zosia, this brownie looks very gooey and delicious - exactly as a brownie should be. I'm always looking for good recipes for using up the zucchini glut when it arrives, so this one gets a definite bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. It was because of a zucchini glut that I made a double batch, but even one loaf uses up a good-sized squash!

      Delete
  7. Hi Zosia,

    I have seen Joyce baking this cake too... Being a chocolate lover, I love to try this recipe too :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do try it, Zoe. It was easy to make and a huge hit with all of the chocolate lovers.

      Delete
  8. Hi Zosia,
    Wow, you've made double the recipe! It was worth it! Haha! This cake is excellent! The family loves it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine also, Joyce. With all of that cocoa and the chocolate chips, I knew they would so 2 loaves made sense (plus I had enough more than enough zucchini)

      Delete
  9. Love how high your loaf is, beautiful moiest spots. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Lien. It was a very moist quick bread and delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Looks so moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.