Monday, August 26, 2013

Very Full Tart - IHCC Pies & Tarts

This delicious tart, brimming with roasted vegetables bound by a cheesy custard and baked in a crisp crust was for me the "Clean Out The Vegetable Crisper" Tart. Some neglected vegetables took on new life with this dish.
I didn't have the required sweet potato but included mushrooms and a few long forgotten tomatoes, which shouldn't have been in the refrigerator to start with, and used garlic instead of onion. To simplify the vegetable preparation, I just chopped everything up and roasted it together.....with the peppers, eggplant and zucchini, the combination was reminiscent of ratatouille.
My tart was a "lite" version, with only a tablespoon or so of oil used for roasting the vegetables, reduced fat feta, ricotta and milk in the filling and a lower fat Olive Oil Tart Dough from The French Market Cookbook by Clotilde Dusoulier, for the crust.
You would never have suspected it since it was very full-flavoured and satisfying. This recipe, from the book Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi, is definitely one that will be repeated.
This post participates in I Heart Cooking Club's theme this week of 
Pies & Tarts. We are currently cooking with featured chef Yotam Ottolenghi.

8 comments:

  1. I love tarts made in rectangular moulds, very classy! Your tart looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zosia,
    Your tart looks so beautiful and delicious. Your lite version sounds wonderful. A great pick for IHCC's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zosia, your tart looks stunning. I've been wanting to make this tart for ages, but I still have several months to wait before all those lovely summer veg like tomatoes, peppers, aubergines and courgettes are available. Love that you used that gorgeous rectangular tart tin for this recipe, and intrigued by that olive oil pastry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. The crust was quite interesting - more like a crunchy cracker than a tender, flaky pastry - but it was tasty and held up well against the moist filling. A variation of the recipe is here:
      http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2009/05/easy_olive_oil_tart_crust.php

      Delete
  4. This is the tart that I wanted to make this week. I just love all the gorgeous veggies and the color they add. I think this your tart is absolutely gorgeous! Plus, I must say I envy your tart pan. I'd really love to buy a rectangular one like yours.

    P.S. Don't you feel a certain amount of satisfaction when you're able to clean out the veggie drawer? I really get a kick out of using up all my ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty tart--so full of good veggies. Like everyone else, I am coveting your tart pan too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tart looks beautiful Zosia! And I do love the sound of your pastry. We are in sync this week as I made the same tart :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have looked at this recipe so many times ... you tipped the balance here ... I think I must make it after looking at your creation! Excellent job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.