Thursday, August 1, 2013

Cookies 'n' Cream Birthday Cake

Inspired by the Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme candy bar, and made recently for my vegetarian daughter's birthday, this white vanilla cake with Oreo buttercream filling and vanilla buttercream frosting is a family favourite.
Cookies 'n' Cream Cake
For special occasion cakes, I often turn to the recipes of Rose Levy Beranbaum since they're so reliable. This one starts with a basic vanilla butter cake that's made with egg whites only. The resulting cake has a very fine, tender crumb with great vanilla flavour. In keeping with the cookies 'n' cream theme, I add a few chopped Oreo cookies to the batter.
The cake is filled and frosted with Rose's Mousseline Buttercream, an Italian Meringue Buttercream that uses a little less sugar than most recipes, flavoured with good vanilla extract. Though deceptively light and airy, it is very rich so a little goes a long way. I add crushed Oreo cookies to a portion of it for the filling.
I like to bake but I'm no cake decorator so I keep it simple.

The recipes for White Velvet Butter Cake and Mousseline Buttercream are from The Cake Bible. The cake recipe can be found here, and though it's not exactly the same, a recipe and tutorial for Italian meringue buttercream can be found here.

Additional notes:
For the cake: 
- I scale the recipe up by 33% and bake the batter in 23cm/9" x 5cm/2" pans.
- I add 6 chopped Oreo cookies (~72g/scant 180ml/3/4 cup chopped) to the cake batter

For the buttercream:
- I flavour it with 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- the filling is made with 240ml/1 cup buttercream and 6 crushed Oreo cookies (~72g)
- I use the remainder of the buttercream for frosting and decorating the cake (1 recipe makes enough to fill and frost a 23cm/9" cake with a moderate amount of piping)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.