|Cookies 'n' Cream Cake|
The cake is filled and frosted with Rose's Mousseline Buttercream, an Italian Meringue Buttercream that uses a little less sugar than most recipes, flavoured with good vanilla extract. Though deceptively light and airy, it is very rich so a little goes a long way. I add crushed Oreo cookies to a portion of it for the filling.
I like to bake but I'm no cake decorator so I keep it simple.
The recipes for White Velvet Butter Cake and Mousseline Buttercream are from The Cake Bible. The cake recipe can be found here, and though it's not exactly the same, a recipe and tutorial for Italian meringue buttercream can be found here.
For the cake:
- I scale the recipe up by 33% and bake the batter in 23cm/9" x 5cm/2" pans.
- I add 6 chopped Oreo cookies (~72g/scant 180ml/3/4 cup chopped) to the cake batter
For the buttercream:
- I flavour it with 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- the filling is made with 240ml/1 cup buttercream and 6 crushed Oreo cookies (~72g)
- I use the remainder of the buttercream for frosting and decorating the cake (1 recipe makes enough to fill and frost a 23cm/9" cake with a moderate amount of piping)