Monday, August 12, 2013

Carrot, Apple and Pecan Muffins - IHCC Nuts & Seeds


I enjoy so many nuts and seeds, it's difficult to pick a favourite so it was only fitting that I chose a recipe that included a variety for this week's I Heart Cooking Club's theme Nuts & Seeds. We're cooking with Yotam Ottolenghi so I made Carrot, Apple and Pecan Muffins from Ottolenghi: The Cookbook.
Moist, dense, and lightly spiced, these flavourful muffins included pecans and coconut in the batter with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and black sesame seeds in the crunchy crumble topping. They all came together beautifully with the grated carrot and shredded apple to create a delicious breakfast treat.
I followed the recipe for the most part but did use whole wheat pastry flour in place of the plain flour, omitted the raisins and baked them in a standard sized muffin pan so the yield was 24. I'll definitely be making these again.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    These muffins sound great! I like all the ingredients in it! Perfect for snacking anytime of the day! Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm! These look the treat! I may well try them with a GF flour mix ... have been trying to go a bit more GF of late and I find muffin recipes lend themselves very well to the GF approach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to pin these--they look so good! The variety of nuts and seeds is something I would like. Great choice for this week's theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite the fact that this is the recipe I had bookmarked to make for this week's theme, I ended up travelling all week and didn't get a chance to make anything. So pleased to see how much you enjoyed them though - now I really want to make them. I love the idea of having these for a breakfast treat. Think I might freeze them when I make them, so that I can whip one out of the freezer each morning for my breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These muffins look fabulous--love all those seeds and the pecans. They look like they would be wonderful with a cup of tea. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look & sound wonderful Zosia :) I especially love that crumble topping. I am with Sue, I think bake a big batch & freeze them for a little daily, delicious breakfast treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These so so nice, and the combination of ingredients sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.