Thursday, August 1, 2013

Braided Passion Fruit and Chocolate-Almond Breads - Avid Baker's Challenge

It's only been in the last few years that I've started to bake yeast breads. I'm at the point where I'm comfortable with most aspects but the final shaping of the dough is still a challenge for me, and braiding, a veritable nightmare. So it was with some trepidation that I approached the recipe chosen for the August Avid Baker's Challenge, Braided Lemon Bread.
Braided Passion Fruit Bread with Vanilla Bean Glaze
The egg and butter rich dough came together easily in the stand mixer and though I used the full amount of flour plus an additional 30g, it was still very soft but happily, quite manageable.
I did stray from the recipe in regards to the filling. I had some passion fruit curd remaining from a previous baking project so used that instead of lemon curd, and replaced the cream cheese and sour cream with the same weights of mascarpone cheese and crème fraîche respectively, again just using ingredients I already had on hand.
Braided Chocolate-Almond Bread
For the chocoholics in the family, one of whom doesn't like cheese, I filled one braid with chocolate and almond creams.

I was thrilled to discover the excellent instructions for shaping the dough on the KAF blog post for this recipe; the mock braiding technique turned out to be very easy and something I will definitely use again. I baked the breads at 350F for 20 minutes. 
We loved them! The bread was tender and had a slight tangy flavour from the yogurt. The chocolate-almond braid was very good, but frankly, the chocoholics didn’t know what they were missing in the passion fruit-cheese braid which was fantastic.

The ABC bakers are currently baking from the King Arthur Flour website. The recipe for Braided Lemon Bread can be found here

The recipes for Passion Fruit Curd, Almond Remonce Filling, and Chocolate Butter Filling are from The Pie and Pastry Bible, by Rose Levy Beranbaum.

19 comments:

  1. hello Zosia and welcome to are Avid Baker's Challenge group/ it's a lot funny and you all so can get new recipe too/ your Passion Fruit and Chocolate-Almond Breads looks very delicious and the color is nice and golden / great job ....p.s. thank for stopping by..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosa. I'm looking forward to doing more baking with the group.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful loaves! Both fillings sound amazing. I love passion fruit. You can tell from the picture of the inside that the bread was nice and tender. Nice touch with sliced almonds on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hanaâ. The bread did have a nice, soft crumb even with the extra flour I added.

      Delete
  3. I love your filling combinations! Way more interesting than the original lemon. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Paula. The passion fruit-mascarpone filling, in particular, went very well with the tangy bread.

      Delete
  4. Wow your bread looks amazing. Feel like picking up a slice and eating it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sunita. I had a lot of takers so they didn't last long here.

      Delete
  5. Fancy! Love the almonds and the vanilla glaze. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much Karen. I really like the combination of vanilla with passion fruit.

      Delete
  6. I always seem to see the blog-version of KAF after I've baked it, thanks for pointing it out. I see I had to make a little flap of dough on the ends, will remember that for next time. Love your fillings and your toppings, just Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lien. I thought the blog post was very helpful in showing the braiding technique.

      PS There are blog posts for the next 2 ABC recipes :-)

      Delete
  7. Hi Zosia,
    Your bread sounds delicious with the passion fruit curd filling! And my kids would love the chocolate filling too! This bread is definitely a keeper, just love the soft and fluffy texture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds really delicious! beautiful loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi zosia just wondering where you got the passion fruit because I couldn't find it anywhere and I know that you are from Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosa, after looking for the frozen puree in several grocery stores, I found it quite by accident in No Frills when I was picking up some frozen samosas! The store keeps it in the freezer section in amongst the wontons and pierogi. The brand is Canoa and it's from Colombia. I've also seen it in Nation Fresh Food Market, an Asian grocery store at Hwy 7 and Weston Rd in Woodbridge.

      Delete
    2. hi Zosia ,I have fond the fresh passion fruit at zehrs market a place where I thought they didn't carry them, paid 14 x $1.79= $ 25.06..ps.thank you for your help.

      I'm going to make the(White Golden Passion Genoise) cake!

      Delete
    3. Rosa, I'm so glad you found the fresh fruit. It makes sense that Zehrs has them since Loblaws and Fortinos (same chain) carry them here. Sorry I misunderstood and replied about the frozen puree.

      I love that cake....it's my favourite from the book! I'll be looking for a blog post about it from you ;-)

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.