Thursday, July 25, 2013

Shakshuka - IHCC Eggscellent

Shakshuka, a dish in which eggs poached in a spicy red sauce star, is one I've wanted to make since it received great reviews as the IHCC community recipe for April, and it fits this week's theme of eggscellent. Yotam Ottolenghi is the chef we're currently cooking with so I made the recipe from his book Jerusalem, a pared down version that focused more on tomatoes than bell peppers.
This recipe relied on Harissa, this month's IHCC community recipe, for its heat and some of its flavour, so I made that as well. The simple ingredients (red pepper, spices, alliums and hot chiles) are roasted, toasted or caramelized before being blended together with tomato paste and lemon juice to make this condiment. It's garlicky and spicy and very versatile; I've used it as a marinade for chicken and shrimp, spiced up some pasta sauce with it and used it in place of ketchup on burgers. Delicious!
For the shakshuka, the harissa is simmered with tomatoes, peppers, garlic and spices to form a thick sauce to which the eggs are added. The dish was spicy, tomatoe-y and a little sweet with richness provided by the egg yolks. It was a quick and delicious any-time-of-day meal that will be repeated often.

The recipes for Shakshuka and Harissa are from the book Jerusalem, by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    You are making me wish to have this again! Yes, it was good, wasn't it? Love the vibrant colour of this dish! Yums!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Zosia, I really must make some of that harissa, I agree so versatile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. Shakshuka is still one of my absolute favourite Ottolenghi dishes - definitely the one I've made most often. As for harissa, this has just become an absolute "necessity" in my kitchen now. Can't do without it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bright color in the base of the Shakshuka. The eggs really pop against it. Your description makes me want to rush in the kitchen and make some harissa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post makes me want to make both Shakshuka and harissa all over again! I love the combination. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.