Monday, July 29, 2013

Puréed Beets with Yogurt and Za’atar - IHCC Mezze Madness

I think I must have been mad when I chose to make this recipe! I love beets, but my family doesn't share my passion. Not only can they not get past the colour - doesn't everyone like pink? - but they don't care for their "earthy" flavour either. The recipe for Puréed Beets with Yogurt and Za’atar from the book Jerusalem, by featured chef Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi looked like an amped up version of beet tzatziki, a recipe I tried and enjoyed recently, but with enough ingredients to help mask the beet flavour.

Simple to make, it started with roasted beets to which Greek yogurt, garlic, hot chile pepper, za'atar and pomegranate molasses (my substitute for date syrup) were added. It was finished with a sprinkle of chopped toasted filberts, sliced green onions and crumbled goat cheese.

The flavour was bold and far more savoury than sweet in the end. The earthiness of the beets was noticeable so I was on my own in eating this, but the other ingredients played a large role in the final flavour, especially the yogurt and za'atar. The dip added some much needed zing to a mezze that included herby meatballs and whole wheat pita.
This post participates in I Heart Cooking Clubs. Please visit to see what others have made for Mezze Madness week.

6 comments:

  1. The color is so bold--even for beets. In addition to the flavor zing, the appearance is zingy too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colour is so striking and vibrant! Beautiful dish! This is an "attention grabber" dish when served on the dining table!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful dish ... too bad you didn't get raves from the fam! I've had my share of foodie adventures that I was psyched about and that my family gave the heave-ho to ... but YOU TRIED! That's important! Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color of this dish is incredibly eye catching! I'm a newbie to beets. I've only had them in a roasted veggie salad with goat cheese and I'm not sure I could discern their flavor. I feel like I need to give them a try all on their own. I do enjoy earthy flavors so I think this would be a go for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be happy to eat this all on my own. ;-) Love the bright pink color--so pretty on the plate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, yum, yum. I often make what I call a "beetroot pesto", but I'm eager to try this interpretation - especially with the addition of za'atar, pomegranate molasses and goat cheese. I'm salivating just thinking about it. Great mezze dish.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.