Thursday, July 11, 2013

Orange Salad with Pine Nuts

This is a beautiful, bright tasting salad that is very easy to put together. I love that not only the orange segments are used, but that the juice and grated zest of the fruit are as well to enhance the orange experience.
The greens - I used arugula - are simply dressed with a white wine vinegar-olive oil vinaigrette that has orange juice, honey and minced garlic added for extra flavour. I prefer a higher vinegar to oil ratio than the recipe so used only 60ml of oil. I also omitted the meat element from the salad though I can see how salty, dry-cured ham would be a great match to the sweet and tangy ingredients in the salad.
Topped with buttery toasted pine nuts, this makes an excellent starter or side salad.

The recipe for Orange Salad with Pine Nuts is from the book 
The New Portuguese Table, by David Leite.

This post participates in Cook-Your-Books, a challenge hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours. Please visit to see what everyone else is cooking this month!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    Wow, that is one beautiful plate of salad! I love the contrasting colours of the green and the orange! Arugula are quite pricey over here, so I would usually substitute with other salad greens.
    Thank you for linking to CYB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joyce. I used arugula because it's what I had but it would be good with any greens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderfully bright & fresh salad...I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.