Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Ice Cream Cake

One of my family's favourite desserts is ice cream cake. After paying inflated prices for them for years, I decided to make my own, something that turned out to be very easy to do.

The flavour can be customized to meet your preferences, but one thing I've learned is that oil-based cakes are best: they defrost quickly and remain soft when they're cold. Chiffon cakes and cake mix cakes work well but our favourite is this Easy 1-Bowl Chocolate Cake.

Chocolate - Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cake with Chocolate Sauce***


Ice Cream Cake 

"Ingredients"

23cm/9" x 4-5cm/1 1/2-2" round baked cake, split horizontally into 2 layers*
1.5 - 2 litres ice cream, softened**
sauce or garnish of your choice***

* I like to use this cake leveler to split the cake evenly but a serrated knife will work.
** The ice cream can be softened at room temperature (1-1 1/2 hours) or in the microwave with a few quick 3-5 second bursts. Make sure to stir it as it softens so it's the same consistency throughout. It should be spreadable, not melted.
*** The recipe for Chocolate Sauce can be found here.

Equipment

23cm/9" x 7.5cm/3" round cake pan 
plastic wrap
serving plate

Method

cake pan
prepare cake pan
1st layer
put 1 cake layer in the pan
ice cream
spread ice cream evenly
First, line the cake pan with plastic wrap. Place one layer of cake in the bottom of the pan, cut side up. The cake will be inverted so this layer will be the top of the cake. Add the ice cream and spread it evenly with a small off set spatula.
2nd cake layer
add the 2nd cake layer
wrap well
wrap well with plastic
frozen cake
unwrap when ready to plate
Place the second cake layer on top of the ice cream, cut side down. Use the overhanging ends of the plastic wrap to cover the cake completely. Freeze for 8 hours or more. When ready to serve, remove from the freezer and peel the plastic wrap back from the cake.
inverted cake
invert the cake
messy sides
smooth the sides
smooth sides
ready to serve
Invert the cake onto the serving plate and remove the plastic wrap. Run a warmed bench scraper around the side of the cake to smooth it. Return the cake briefly to the freezer to set the side once again. Cover well with plastic wrap if it's not being served within an hour or 2. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing with a warmed knife.
Leftovers - if there are any - should be wrapped well with plastic wrap before being returned to the freezer.

5 comments:

  1. Looks great. I agree that oil-based choc cakes work best for ice cream cakes. Enjoy! Have you ever made ice cream sandwiches? I did, once :) I made the cookies from scratch as well as the ice cream. It was fun a project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hanaâ. I've made ice cream sandwiches only once but the cookie was too hard. Maybe a whoopie pie type (cake-y)cookie would work better. I should really try again - my family would love them.

      Delete
    2. That's too bad. My cookies were soft and chewy. Check out my post some time: http://hanaaskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/07/sms-brown-sugar-vanilla-ice-cream-sans.html

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the link to your ice cream post Hanaâ, your cookies look fantastic and sound delicious. Soft and chewy is what I'd like. Maybe I'll give that recipe a try.

      Delete
  2. Hi Zosia,
    This looks so good! Homemade ice cream are always the best! I totally agree on the oil-based cakes, they taste great even when chilled! And your chocolate cake looks delish with the ice-cream, this would bring smiles not only to kids, but to the adults as well! I know it would bring a big happy smile to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.