Monday, July 15, 2013

Easy 1-Bowl Chocolate Cake

I enjoy baking and though I like to challenge myself, most of the time I just want to make something that tastes good and will always turn out well. One of the most reliable and versatile recipes I use is for a super moist and delicious oil-based chocolate cake that can be mixed in 1 bowl with a spoon (or whisk)....no need to pull out the heavy equipment for this one! In addition, it uses basic pantry ingredients.

The recipe comes from the book Sky High: Irresistible Triple Layer Cakes, by Alisa Huntsman and Peter Wynne and is the cake portion of the Sour Cream-Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting and Chocolate-Peanut Butter Glaze; it can also be found here.

The recipe produces a large amount of batter as it's intended to make 3-8" layers. I've successfully halved the recipe, but since it freezes and keeps so well, I usually make the whole recipe. If I don't have plans for all of it, I use the extra batter to make cupcakes, since there's always a need for cupcakes!
prepared pan
Prepare the baking pans
sifted dry ingredients
Sift the dry ingredients*
dry ingredients
Give them a stir to combine
*With most cakes, I would skip the sifting step and just stir the dry ingredients together but you do want to remove the lumps from the cocoa powder so it's worth doing for this recipe.
sour cream and oil
Add the sour cream and oil
stir with spoon
Use a spoon to stir
add the water
Whisk in the water
The batter is very stiff at first so it's best to use a spoon at the start but revert back to the whisk once some of the water has been added.
vinegar and vanilla
Add vanilla and vinegar
add the eggs
Whisk in the eggs
finished batter
Finished batter
These steps take only minutes to complete, as fast as a cake mix to make but so much better!
round cake
Distribute batter among pans
cake strips
Don't forget the cake strips*
cupcakes
60ml/1/4 cup batter per cupcake
*I like to use these so cake layers bake level. I use Wilton brand but there are others available.

Because it's an oil-based cake, it remains soft when it's cold so can be paired with toppings and fillings that need to be refrigerated and it defrosts quickly so it's perfect in ice cream cakes. These are some of my favourite ways to serve it:


With just a dusting of powdered sugar.
In a layer cake with a complementary buttercream.
 In an ice cream cake, one of the family favourites!

I'm sharing this post with Cook-Your-Books hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours. Please visit to see what everyone else is making this month.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    Your chocolate cake looks so chocolaty delicious! One bowl sounds good to me, less washing up to do! I love the various ways you are serving it, and I would definitely join your family for the last one, as an ice cream cake! Yummy!
    Thank you for linking to CYB! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.