Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Sweet Potato Galettes - IHCC A Little Bit of Sunshine!

Sweet Potato Galette
One of my goals in life is to increase the quantity and variety of vegetables my family consumes. My focus with this recipe was the sweet potato, a tasty tuber that has faced its share of rejection at my dinner table. Little did I know I just had to flavour it with garlic and hot chillies, smother it with goat cheese and bake it on a buttery, flaky pastry base for it to gain acceptance. It also helped that family believed they were eating a vegetable they know and like......though where they thought I could get carrots that size, I couldn't tell you......

Rough Puff Pastry
Quick Puff Pastry*
sweet potato galette
before baking...
sweet potato galette
ready to eat!
These were quite easy to assemble but roasted sweet potatoes were needed to begin. I took the easy - and cooler - way out and baked them in the microwave. I had only low-fat sour cream on hand so that's what I used and I brushed the sweet potatoes with the garlic-infused oil before baking since I didn't want the taste of raw garlic. The topping quantities seemed off....I prepped everything but used only half the ingredients.

These were absolutely delicious and I regretted not making a double batch and using up all of the topping (and pastry) since everyone was looking for seconds.

*The Quick Puff Pastry recipe is from The Pie and Pastry Bible (Rose Levy Beranbaum).

This post participates in I Heart Cooking Clubs. The theme this week is A Little Bit of Sunshine as we continue to celebrate the cuisine of featured chef Yotam Ottolenghi. This recipe is from his book Ottolenghi. Head on over to see what other bright and sunshiny food has been prepared by other members!

5 comments:

  1. Haha, the "carrots" made me laugh! What a clever way of making your family eat the sweet potato! I love roasted sweet potatoes, and using them in galettes looks really yum to me! I am so craving for sweet potato, will try to get some this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I love that you disguised the sweet potatoes as carrots. Awesome job getting your family to eat sweet potato :)

    I'm very impressed that you made your own puff pastry (it looks incredible by the way). This is truly a beautiful galette. I'd love to enjoy some myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such pretty little tarts--I love the color and of course I was sold with the garlic and goat cheese! (I too am impressed with the homemade puff pastry--WOW!) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous, Zosia. I loved these too, and I too found that I didn't use anywhere near the amount of topping called for in the recipe. Like everyone else, I'm well impressed that you made your own puff pastry, which I would never attempt. In my defense though, I did make my own sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Love the carrot confusion! My family likes sweet potatoes, but they always want them sweet. I actually prefer them in savory dishes, which I am always on the lookout for. I think with garlic, chilies, and goat cheese this sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.