Monday, June 10, 2013

(Low-Fat) Cinnamon Coffee Cake



Almost as frequently as I'm asked if I'm cooking, I'm asked if there's something sweet to eat in the house. "Fruit" is usually the wrong answer. Cinnamon coffee cake is the type of sweet the entire family enjoys equally - which I'm sure is as rare in most families as it is in mine - and this particular recipe is the one that's most requested.

There's a time and place for butter and sour cream rich coffee cakes with multiple components and an over the top streusel, but I love this simple little cake with it's moist, soft crumb, caramel flavour and bold cinnamon sugar.  That it's made with only 1/4 cup butter, 1 egg and relies on low fat yogurt for its moistness is merely incidental. 


The recipe comes from Anne Lindsay's Smart Cooking and can be found here.

Some additional notes:

The recipe in the book calls for either butter or margarine. I use unsalted butter and add 1/4 tsp table salt.


Not all substitutions for the plain yogurt are created equal: low-fat sour cream makes the cake heavy and dense; non-fat Greek yogurt makes the crumb coarse and a little chewy; a blend of equal parts non-fat Greek yogurt and 1% buttermilk works very well...it's what I used in the cake pictured.

The cake is quite sweet so I make only a 1/2 recipe of the cinnamon sugar, using it as a topping if baked in a square pan, or as a filling if baked in a bundt pan.

This post participates in Cook-Your-Books.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    Wow, this is one gorgeous bundt cake! Your cinnamon swirl sets very nicely right in the center and I like the curve line it makes, very pretty!
    Thank you for linking to Cook-Your-Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just seen your comment! Your are welcome to join in anytime! You may submit more than one post, provided they are new and current posts. I can relate about the love of collecting cookbooks! I guess we'll never stop! :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Zosia
    I like the look of this swirl cake, texture looks soft and yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.