Friday, May 31, 2013

Cheddar-Pork Burgers with Sweet Potato Buns


The arrival of warmer weather (I'm choosing to ignore last night's temperature of 4C), heralds the start of grilling season here. Burgers are a favourite in my family, and these juicy pork burgers make a regular appearance. Made with lean ground pork seasoned with sage and garlic, they're delicious as is; including cheddar cheese adds an entirely new flavour dimension and extra moistness.


The recipe calls for aged cheddar and much as I would like to use one without added colour, there has to be an easy way to distinguish the cheese-y burgers from the plain that I make for my cheese-hating son.....neon orange cheese it is.

I don't always make the buns, but when I have time, these sweet potato buns are the perfect choice. The recipe takes some time to make, though most of it is just waiting time, so it's easier to make the dough over 2 days. The buns are slightly sweet but don't taste much like sweet potatoes. But the tuber is responsible for the pretty golden colour and for the bread's soft, airy texture. The tight crumb ensures that the bread doesn't get soggy while it holds a juicy burger and its toppings.


The recipe for the burger can be found here.

The recipe for the buns (Sweet Potato Loaf) is from Rose Levy Beranbaum's The Bread Bible, but a scaled down version can be found here. (I follow the baking instructions in the book which call for a temperature of 375F/190C).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.