Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A'ja (bread fritters) - IHCC Pattycake, Pattycake....

Sometimes the contents of my refrigerator dictates what I make next. With an abundance of assorted fresh herbs (and not much else), this recipe for a'ja was calling my name. That it happened to fit this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs theme of Pattycake, Pattycake with featured chef Yotam Ottolenghi was a bonus.
The recipe comes from the book Jerusalem. I was intrigued by it, curious to know what role the bread played, and have had it bookmarked since buying the book. The recipe calls for crustless sliced white bread which I didn't have, but I did have 2 leftover sausage buns. (How does one end up with extra sausage buns when one has only purchased enough for the number of sausages cooked and no one admits to eating bun-less sausages?) After soaking it and squeezing out the excess liquid, the bread is crumbled and mixed with the other ingredients, which include a fair number of eggs, feta, spices and a lot of herbs. 
The batter was very liquid even though I used only large eggs (the recipe calls for extra large). So liquid, in fact, that I couldn't shape the fritters into anything like what the recipe suggested....the mixture spread in the pan without any of my help and looked more like a pancake. Using 60ml per patty, my yield was almost a dozen. 

 Their texture and eggy flavour were reminiscent of a frittata and like a frittata, were quite delicious hot or at room temperature. The bread added a little texture and body - they would have been more like little herb omelettes without it. They made a very nice, light meal served with a salad.

7 comments:

  1. This recipe caught my attention as well. I was so curious as to how the bread fritters would turn out. They certainly look very pretty with all the herbs. I bet they paired wonderfully with your salad! I'd definitely like to make this recipe (and maybe I should as I have extra hot dog buns in my pantry..ha ha).

    ReplyDelete
  2. These little fritter look so much like the spinach pancakes that I made! Much more piquant with the spices, though! What a terrific offering for this week's 'pattycake' theme! And good for you to use just what you have in the pantry! Fortuitous, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A lot of herbs" makes me want to run to the kitchen and make these. I enjoy cooking with herbs. The golden brown color of your fritters makes me want to run to the kitchen too--they look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - I want these right now, but as I have a chicken roasting in the oven for tonight's dinner as I write this, I think these will just have to wait till tomorrow. Which is fine as I think they will make the perfect Sunday supper, and what a great way to use up some of that leftover bread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so deliciously and perfectly brown and golden! All those lovely herbs just makes my mouth water. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I think I am going to have to make these...I love all the herbs. Reading all these fritter recipes I am so happy we have a long weekend so I can whip some up for brunch tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These looks good! Fritters are always a hit in my house. And these would definitely be gone in minutes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.